An important part of avoiding back pain is having a good, strong core. When we talk about your “core”, we’re talking about the muscles that are beneath your chest and above your hips. These muscles are important in supporting your lower spine, and a weakness in one muscle group can strain the other muscles and cause you back pain. If you want to try strengthening your own core, our Tacoma massage clinic recommends the following exercise:
- Start by laying face down, propping yourself up on your forearms so that your upper arms are perpendicular to the floor.
- Plant your toes and raise your hips so that your body is straight.
- Tighten your buttocks and abdominal muscles to hold yourself in place, keeping your head in a neutral position.
- Hold the position as long as you comfortably can.
- Start out with small increments of time if you need to, even five seconds if that’s all you can do. Try to gradually work your way up to a minute.